Monday, February 4, 2019

A small eatery at St. John’s, Antigua/Carlos Pueblo


A small eatery at St. John’s, Antigua/Carlos Pueblo

The East Town Restaurant is a small Chinese Restaurant by the twin
towner church of Antigua where I have been every time. It’s on a
different direction from the main street from the pier. It was open
this time and the lady owner told me that they sent back to Fuchien,
China after 8 years at Antigua two months ago when I passed by the
port. I made my compliment of their effort to make a living in such an
unthinkable place in the world. She told me that there was no other
choice for them in China. I like her sincere attitude that is different
from most the rest of loving face and ignorant. She speak my mother
 tongue, Amoy and we discuss the difference of Chang and Chuan
accents of the language. Her Amoy tongue is overpowered by the
Mandarin Chinese similar to the situation in Taiwan.

There are only four tables of 16 seats in this eatery at the most. I met
three Filipinos from the ship and they knew how to order the manual.
Since that I had had such good conversation with her, I decided to order
a steam fish from her and she mentioned the name of the fish in Mandarin
which I had a hard time to find the English name until the next stop, St.
Maarten Islands, red grouper. It was an extra expenditure for the reason
that there are best restaurant of all kinds on board and covered by the cruise
fare yet I do have two small bottles of local beer. She also gave me a plate
of her home grown green and a bowl of large grain of rice for my fish.

She told me that there were some Taiwanese American passengers passing
by the restaurant and came in to chat with her. I volunteered to write about
my experience in the restaurant on my blog site to make known of her restaurant
worldwide. You may have some local fresh caught sea screws, fishes, and lobsters
when you pass by here. It is really up to the inventory of the restaurant and the
steaming or pan fried seafood are really like at home.

I have been to this lovely town for 5 times by now and no wonder that I have met
some cruise lovers on board. They recognize me somewhere on my previous cruise
venture. I love the experience on board and no matter how many time that I have
passed the ports in everywhere on the world.    



No comments: