Sunday, July 17, 2016

Disembark at St. Thomas dock/Carlos Pueblo

Disembark at St. Thomas dock/Carlos Pueblo

After seven days on the sea, we disembarked at St. Thomas, USVI. US purchased
The islands from Denmark-Norway in 1917 after the famous American-Spanish
War of 1898. I did check the history before I wrote my journal, US paid $25M for
VI in 1898 in peace time while Philippine $20M in 1898 after the war. I always just
walk out of the ship and walk around and back to the ship. I didn’t go to the famous
Magen’s Bay Beach.

Right on the end of a strip mall, I followed the crow to find a coffee shop which provided
free Wi-Fi. Again, I had had some kind of operational difficulty and then someone helping
me. Most of the shops are jewelry related, diamonds and jades etc. I kept on walking
toward a McDonald’s restaurant expecting for a better speed free internet. There was a
small supermarket called Pueblo  and I took some photos for souvenir because of Pueblo,
my Spanish last name.

I looked at a fresh produce stand outside of the market, banana, pineapple, papaya , and
sugar cane etc. I was very surprised of their outlook for a tropical island like Taiwan. In
any of the produce stand in Taiwan or in Hawaii, produces on the street always in top
fresh condition; therefore, customers cannot resist from buying some at that moment.
In Oahu, Hawaii, Dole Plantation will sell you a box of pineapple with 4 heads for $32 and
you can carry on back to the continent US, or you can purchase the same produce on a
fruits stand on the north highway with same price or a little bit less. This is called Marketing
while US rule doesn’t reach Virgin Island yet and no wonder not many new vehicles on the
street of St. Thomas.

I saw some mango trees with green mango hanging on the branches in the residential area.
This reminded me of my childhood area in rural area of Taiwan. This kind of green fruits
Will be ripe on the tree within a month and kids can climb up to pick them or eat them on
the tree without sharing with anyone.

I kept on walking to the McDonald’s for free WiFi to check on some of my favorite songs

to request Mr. Taylor to play during the trip to Barcelona.

No comments: