Friday, October 29, 2021

The joy of reading a book/Carlos Pueblo

 The joy of reading a book/Carlos Pueblo

Recently I am reading a book called the Adventures in American Literature, a Pegasus Edition Which Amy gives it to me because that she has a hard time to follow it. In return, I give her my collection of the American History volume II 1850-1950 that she loves it. I know that both books help me very much to understand this great nation that I live. I have pointed it out on my blog about a point on American History about the inflation that we can use it now, for the time being. One of the reasons why some farmers like to have the inflation to increase their income and control their spending in order to come out ahead. I agree and practice it all my life.

The Adventures book is a senior high school reference collection. The senior high school released it due to aged. I am on page 128 now and I have read the Puritanism, the Age of Reason, the Great Awakening, the Beginnings of American Literature. I shall go directly to the Revolutionary period where we call it the progressive, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Paine, and Thomas Jefferson, and Patrick Henry, etc. I like to go back again to read again to understand more. There is a French immigrant writing  letters from an American Farmer to introduce this great nation that I miss before and now I formally read it and fully understand. There was a girl wrote a poem to support the revolutionary war and was invited to visit Washington's camp. I read her piece.

There are many paintings on this book bring back my fond memory of art museums all over the world. I am now at Washington Irving. I have read both of his famous pieces when I was a beginner of English reader in Taiwan, Rip Van Winkle and the Legend of Sleepy Hollow, and more. There was a young man went into a village to be a teacher and fell in love with a pretty girl student and agitated local male youth. Finally the story ended with a headless horse running away during a Halloween day. I walked and recited that short story to improve my English when I was at the senior high school. That is his piece as well. I thought they were Dutch American folk tales and there were German tales that the book said.


No comments: