Saturday, April 7, 2018

Taking off to Japan/Carlos Pueblo


Taking off to Japan/Carlos Pueblo

Several months ago, I was watching an advertisement for a repositioning cruise
from Yokohama, Japan along the Pacific coast north via 4 Japanese ports, one
Russian port and 4 Alaskan ports to Seattle, Washington State for a total of 21
days. I was stopped by the factor of the airfare which was very difficult for me to
swallow, one way and round trip rate were basically the same. Then, I changed
my mind for just planning for a land trip to Japan and took off to Japan for 24
days. We flew from Houston to Tokyo via Calgary, Canada on two fully booked
planes. On the second leg, I met a young stewardess who was fluent in three
languages, Japanese, English and Spanish that I wished to borrow her talent for
the trip.

I had had no problem to get our Japan Rail Pass issued and 50,000 Yen out of the
ATM machine and took Amy to take Narita Express to Tokyo Station. Upon our
arrival to the huge station, I was not deterred. After consulting with several staff
on the station, we took Chou Line to Kojanomitsu station, the water of the tea,
and lost at night on the way to our inn at Jimbocho, Kanda, Chiyoda.  I was too
confidence myself due to previous staying at that inn twice in 2014 and it was
too early to get off a station and ran into a parallel and similar avenue. Finally,
a pair of high school students came to rescue us at night and walked us to the
inn in half of an hour.

The night shift manager of the inn helped me to solve two connection difficulty
of my small lap top and large notebook by loaning me two parts in order to
recharge the computer to send and check the e-mail daily. It became a burden
after leaving Tokyo due to a failure to purchase those two parts and could not
put in to use especially in a smaller room. I have been so stubborn and out of date
for such a long time and getting by without i-phone to read while travelling.

The inn provides free breakfast which is very considerate for us, a group of frugal
travelers. The breakfast is consisted of coffee, tea, bread, very diluted miso and
vegetable soups. I could easily maintain my skipping lunch routine. Most of the
customers are young travelers from all over the world. I selected this inn to meet
two of our Japanese friends and have dinners with them at a nice restaurant nearby
in a consecutive nights of our stay in Tokyo.


No comments: