Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Re-visiting Kagoshima/Carlos Pueblo


Re-visiting Kagoshima/Carlos Pueblo
Almost everywhere was raining after we arrived at Kumamoto, I decided to take
Amy to Kagoshima on the southern Kyushu Island. During my previous visit, I did
miss the Kagoshima Bay and Sakura Island across the bay for its volcano. On our
way to the Restoration Park, we dropped by the old home lot of Saigo Takamori,
and the small park nearby. We were interrupted by my exhaust memory chip of
my camera; therefore, we went back to the station. After a new chip purchase, we
resumed our itinerary and marched toward the Bay and observed the volcano
smoke for the rest of the afternoon.

Saigo, one of the three nobles at the Meiji Restoration, was born and raised at
Kagoshima. There is a statue of him walking his dog at the Ueno Park in Tokyo. We
also saw a memorial of Okunbo Toshimichi, another one of the three nobles, at the
Restoration Park. I may just also mention the third noble, Kido Takayoshi of Choshu
current day Yamakuchi Prefecture. I am interested in Japanese songs and dramas;
therefore, visiting Japan makes more interesting to me.

The Park was full of cherry blossom at the time when we visited. There is a flame
house for lower rank samurai and nearby is many posts of samurai discipline
proverbs. There are several bridges across the Kotsuki River. The Park provided a
market for local nursery owners to sell flowers and fruits plants for a week during
the beginning of the spring. I took many photos for my own collection. Now, I
understand why Japanese keep their country so beautiful.

We followed a light electrical train track toward the ferry through downtown business
center. The ferry port is on the famous Kagoshima Bay and across the Bay is a live
volcano site. At the beginning, I didn’t notice the significance of both. Eventually, after
siting in a concrete bench for a long time in a huge park, I found a smoke like cloud
arising behind a mountain and kept on growing horizontally and then dispersed to the
right and I knew that was the well know live volcano of Sakura Island. Kagoshima Bay
is famous for its seafood in Japan. The seaside park was also full of cherry blossom.

We walked to the old Kagoshima Station also run by Japan Rail and hub on a regular
train back to Kagoshima Central. It was dark at night and we took a small noodle
stand restaurant for a bowl of laomein as dinner.




No comments: