Thursday, June 18, 2015

Visiting Cambridge, England/ Carlos Pueblo

Visiting Cambridge, England/ Carlos Pueblo

At the final day in London, I decided to visit Cambridge, again, I returned
to Victoria Station and also another two hours bus ride. I ran into three
young Chinese girls students, Cheng Ru Shea, Pan Tang , and Ya Wen Hsiao,
all came from Singapore yet their Mandarin Chinese is perfect. Then I learned
that they were from southern province of Fuchien. I attempted my Amoy and
gave up when one told me that they were from Fuchou area and not quite
comfortable of speaking Fuchou dialect. They agreed to me for following them
at Cambridge, so, we walked toward the city center and stopped for lunch in
a busy market. I ordered the same vegetable falahal and they were for Thai noodle.
Two of them are studying in London, one at the Royal College of Economic at
Regent Park; the other one is at Trinity University, the third one who comes to visit
London is studying at Singapore.

The architecture between City of Cambridge and Oxford is slightly different, I
Think that Cambridge is not so luxury as Oxford, yet there is a pretty canal
inside the campus. This is a so called the shadow upside down at Cambridge
in early spoken Chinese literature to describe Cambridge. They were prepared
to have a punting tour on the canal which was hiring a small boat for one hour.
A punt is a flat boat with a long pool stick to the bottom of the canal to move
the boat. Three ladies were in the front and took turn to stick the pool while
I sat at the end to control the direction with a plastic raft. Only me has some
Row boat and canoe experience; however, we did manage to finish one hour
period. When the punt was more stable and in control, one lady started playing
a banjo like instrument which was very romantic. None of them were music
major. We walked along the bank of unfinished canal, I did find a small grove
of blooming  Akebono cherry, this was the fourth place this year that I saw this
kind of flowering cherry.

I said farewell to them because of returned bus schedule. I was lost on my way
back to downtown in a big cathedral due to a closed alley. I followed the incoming
route out. Cambridge is famous for science and Darwin is one of the famous
alumni. I always like to visit universities and Cambridge and Oxford are a surprise
during this trip to London.

The return bus went through a different route to London. I did not see the new
Modern building, instead, several old townships, then, following the Thames,
London Castle, entering Westminster.




No comments: