Tuesday, June 9, 2015

United Club/Carlos Pueblo

United Club/Carlos Pueblo
In order to avoid 2 ½ hours bus ride to Houston Airport, I took a ride
with my daughter on early Monday morning. She gave me United
Club tickets to use. Foods, drinks, desks, and even shower facility are
provided. Sever years ago, we were at Tokyo Haneda, used it’s
facility and I was very impressed. I like to drink free domestic beer.
Last year, Citi Bank gave me two Admiral Club tickets from American
Airline and I did not have an opportunity to use them. They are expired
now.

I ran into a Vietnamese lady who traveled to Houston for business. She
Lives in Saigon, currently Hu Chi Ming City, and works for an American
company. She was humorous that she thought I was a Buddhist monk.
Indeed I was, I said. I took off my hat and showed her my back head.
We discussed the Buddhism, culture, and life. She is a widow, devoted
Buddhist, and lives with her mother, a retired pharmacy professor. She
also has a daughter as a pharmacist. I rubbed my first two fingers to show
making a good income and she laughed. She emphasizes frugality and
filial piety which she considers as way of life. She saves money and gives
it to her mother and she believes that her mother will deed the house to
her when she passes away.

I mentioned Thich Nhat Hanh, a Vietnamese monk who defined my
thought of Buddhism. She knows who he is and makes me very pleased.
She says Buddhism and filial piety are related and is still in her community
to exist. I try to avoid the subject of filial piety and change my subject to
Lohan, a travelling monk and his put up for one night in my trip to Europe.
She left for her plane back home. A week later, I actually run into a Thai
monk at the Oxford campus and ask him for two night stays at his temple
at Staffordshire nearby Birmingham, England.




No comments: