Wednesday, June 24, 2015

The origin of Buddhism/ Carlos Pueblo

The origin of Buddhism/ Carlos Pueblo
I met a Thai monk at Oxford University campus. He wore an orange color
surplice. After clasping my hands, I started asking him questions. I asked
him if he could get married and if he could eat meat. No, he said. He can
married and he will eat what is provided to him, yet he will not kill. It is
very clear and simple answer and I like him instantly. I felt that there was
an affinity between us. I kept on asking him, where’s your temple? Near
Birmingham. Are you the abbot of the temple? He nodded. I told him that
I was a traveling lohan and he laughed. I; therefore, asked him if I could
put up two nights at his temple. He said yes.

Lohan is Sanskrit, an old Indian language which Buddhists practice. It is
Lohan in English as well that I understand. I said put up a night in a classical
Chinese language, kwak dang, and he understood that was my surprise. I
think that he speaks or understands Chinese. He also knows Thich Nhat Hanh,
the Vietnamese monk who I admire and think him as my master of Buddhism.
I read his book to know what a meaningful life is and this is different from
what Buddhists heard from Buddha directly about how he knows his life.
He had to stop for a moment to chat with me and let go his friends. He also
Heard of Jien, the same spelling as my middle name, a famous Japanese
master monk one thousand years ago. I must go to visit him.

Not too long after we departed, I received his return message from Thailand.
I am thinking for another visit to Europe this fall and arranging a visit to
his temple. I really like to visit a well learned scholar like him. He left his
address and name:
Dr. Laow Panysairic




No comments: