Friday, November 10, 2017

Visiting Bermuda Islands 2017/Carlos Pueblo

Visiting Bermuda Islands 2017/Carlos Pueblo

I got an opportunity to visit Bermuda Islands in early June of 2017 from
Boston, 4 days at sea and 3 days at Hamilton pier, the capital port of the
Islands. I visited the Naval Dock Yard one day and hiking two days at
another island, St. George township, and also watching three days yearly
American Cup Yacht racing. Bermuda appears prosperous and nice.

I began walking out of the pie toward the other end with a busy bus station
with tourists lining up for some tourists destinations. It is the beginning of
the naval dock yard I suppose with battery cannons either still stands or
laying on the ground quietly. There is a castle museum entrance to view the
old military set up. I am still not sure which nation built the castle for the defense
of the island. The simple way for me to understand European and American
history is this, the Castillo ended the Moore in Spain and sent Columbus to
America in 1492 with wind sail power battle ships, then Portugal followed. America
was divided by the European, Viking up at the North and Spanish down to the South.
Portugal was assigned current day Brazil by the Pope. European pirate ships were
active in the Caribbean challenging the Spanish ships directly to rub their gold.
Queen Elizabeth I regulated the pirates to become English navy and defeated Spanish
Armada repeatedly both in English Straight and the Caribbean. Then, the 17th century
Industrial Revolution, the combusted engine replaced the wind sail power of the ship,
Spanish became weaker and weaker even the U.S. took advantage of such at the
beginning of 20th century, Spain parted Puerto Rico, Cuba, Philippine to U.S. Bermuda
was not on the list because the British owned it from Spain way before that war.
Bermuda still hanging the British flag yet owns its own currency and accept the U.S.
currency for business most of the time.

I walked along the naval dock yard toward the American Cup official site on the other
end like a small peninsula with a grand stand to watch the racing yachts in and out.
There is a penitentiary on the top right before going down to the yacht site. I saw some
young visitors at the entrance that might be some youngsters inside with drug offense.
I kept on going till I found a place to sit and looking the small sand beach underneath.
The sand is brown not pink and the water is crystal clear.

I could maneuver my binoculars to see yachts testing the wind and wave far away. Various
kinds of the beautiful yachts were gathering there at Bermuda from all over the world.
The Cup authority were placing some barrel markers for the race of next day. The breeze
of bay wind touched my face and I had had such a good time.




No comments: