Monday, November 13, 2017

Observing the America’s Cup yacht race 2017/Carlos Pueblo

Observing the America’s Cup yacht race 2017/Carlos Pueblo

America’s Cup 2017 was held in Bermuda in June 16th to 23th.
We were there between 5th and 7th; therefore I didn’t see the actual
Race of the final that the New Zealand’s Emirate defeated last year
champion, the U.S. Oracle. What I watched three afternoons was really
a preliminary match and practice at the Great Sound Bay. Many big sail
ships from all over the world were gathering at the bay site to watch as
well. It was unexpected for my trip that I was not aware of the Cup when
I booked the cruise.

The first afternoon was bright sunny and there was not enough bay wind
to hold the race. I sit on the beach high ground overlooking several yachts
to test the water. Even though it was lack of wind, the yacht was still very
speedy when the sail was opened. Most of the race yachts were on the piers
with tall sails standing. More than half a century ago, I read an article on a
Chinese edition of the Readers Digest in Taiwan about the American’s Cup
which was still in my memory.

I came back to the cruise ship early on the 3rd afternoon due to a stormy
weather which was suitable for the race, windy and raining. Some of us
stood on the 7th deck rear to observe the race. I was prepared, binocular,
camera, and umbrella. Two racing yachts passed through us on a path to
the bay. The bottom of the yacht was not single boat shaped yet two set
of bulb keel for the shallow water. One crew was peddling something at
one side and the other 4 were on the other side doing something with the
sails. It was announced and comment from the Cup while at the race. It was
between Japan and Britain at that race. The two speedy yachts like a straight
arrow chasing each other in a square until there was a distance between them.
It was very good looking on the bay.

On my second day at St. George’s township, I did visit a huge Sail ship on the
other side of the King’s Square, Copenhagen. It was a teaching vessel for a
college and also could carry some passengers along the trip. They were on their
way to Boston as well.




No comments: