Thursday, November 9, 2017

A general strike in Buenos Aires, Argentina/Carlos Pueblo

A general strike in Buenos Aires, Argentina/Carlos Pueblo

When I entered to the Plaza de Mayo, there were crows gathering around
the square. A temporary platform was set up with a big screen showing
pictures of man and woman one by one. I know that they are the victims of
the Argentina Dirty War, 1976-1983, during the Junta dictatorship. Was it a
demonstration? I thought that was more like a carnival or festival of some
kind. The leader of a group on board from Chicago answered me that might
be a celebration of a soccer win of Chilean National team a night before. The
size of the crowds were getting bigger and bigger everywhere from the Square
up to the Plaza del Congreso on beautiful Avenida de Mayo, extended to  the
Avenida 9 de Julio towards the Obelisco, a similar shape tower of Washington
Memorial and the Plaza de la Republica. I walked back to the Casa Rosada, the
Presidential Palace, and  Mayo Square. The crowds were dancing on the streets.
I checked on Google lately that was a huge general strike organized by workers
Union and teachers union and yet I didn’t find out the purposes of such strike.
I did run into a strike when I first visited Buenos Aires on Av. 9 de Julio at
Venezuela St. from a group of my fellow Formosan native from the north to
protest the continuation of colonization. We call ourselves Formosan in difference
from Chinese in Taiwan and that is why I have been so kinship with Argentina. I have
the best wish with them.

I like the political affairs, in Buddhism, a Chinese scholar explains how a good government
can do virtuous deeds to its people through budgetary priority like military expanse,
education, or welfare to the weak and poor etc. The strikers must have some kinds of
demand of their needs. I have participated several protests of Chinese Nationalists and
communists attitude towards Taiwan Independence on the streets of Houston even
though we are much smaller in size in compare with Buenos Aires; however, the demands
of priority are similar and we are on the right side of humanity always. We have been through
that kind of dirty war, we call it white terror in Taiwan and red terror in China all under the
old Chinese political system. I believe that Argentina will be better of eventually because of
the western democratic system. I call it the Argentina Phenomena.  

Argentina is rich and abundant like the U.S., Canada, Australia, South Africa etc. and filled
with immigrants from all over the world. I have had another belief that one day Argentina

will be like the U.S.

No comments: