Wednesday, November 30, 2022

The worst unfilial matter is no posterity/Carlos Pueblo

 The worst unfilial matter is no posterity/Carlos Pueblo

Nowadays people delay their marriage and also delay bearing child at their marriage due to reasons of all kinds. According the ancient Chinese philosopher Mencius that is the worst unfilial matter, no posterity. Many young people are unfilial according to the Confucianism. Family trees are fallen most of the time and it is the fact. There was a nightmare last night which I could remember some in details involving my late father for his parking of a vehicle somewhere for me to take my son Arthur to his eyes doctor. I had to wake myself up in order to interrupt the misery. It is related to my life and my current days thinking that I do mention of my late marriage lately. It is very stressful when I think of my no posterity in actual life.

This is what Mencius famous piece of advise, " There are three things which are unfilial, and to have no posterity is the greatest of them." The next one is not that famous in China, yet he explained it as an example, " Shun married, without informing his parents, because of this, he is considered as no posterity, yet Gentlemen consider that his doing so was the same as if he had informed his parents." Shun is the legendary ruler of China that his predecessor Yao yields his ruler position to him voluntarily and also gives two daughters to Shun as his wives. It is a young adult's duty to get married and bear a child to satisfy the filial definition. I believe that the young generation have lost such steam nowadays.

You may ask what are the other two unfilial matters on Mencius' talking? According to one of explanation fo 13 famous Chinese ancient philosophers works. One of them explained it some two thousand years ago in the Eastern Han Dynasty. He pointed it out while Mencius talking was incomplete. According to the Chinese manners, you must critise your parents when they obviously make critical mistake to injure others. Secondly, you must work to make an earn income to help parents to avoid the poverty; however, no posterity is the worst of the unfilial matter.

I don't think that American are talking about filial or unfilial matter, yet I still believe that I have been affected by all three discussion on Mencius thought in my life. It is called a family value posted some time ago in the U.S. politic. Get good education in order to get a good income job. Respect the elders and help your own parents if you are financial able. Get married and have a child to continue your family tree. 

No comments: