Thursday, November 24, 2022

Returning to Juneau, Alaska 2022/Carlos Pueblo

 Returning to Juneau, Alaska 2022/Carlos Pueblo

Juneau is the capital city of Alaska at the pan handle. It is so large that a back to back cruises stop is about right arrangement. Our first stop is usually to the downtown main street and hub on a city bus to visit the Mendenhall Glacier and the next one is march to the Last Chance Gold Mine and back along the creek to the downtown.

We tried to locate the Russian Shop on the Main street yet in vein. Olga was the owner we got to know her in 2012. Amy bought a Russian girl's doll from her shop. Each time I would announce my visit from Texas and she knew that I was on a back to back trip. My last trip was in 2019 before the Pandemics and she told  me that her granddaughter opened her own shop next door to compete with her. Perhaps she didn't make it and was closed her business. It is sad. Her shop was across the main street from the city library where I used its internet to send an e-mail home.

I easily located the Four Points Hotel and the bus stop to the Mendenhall Glacier. This bus is a tour of the city and the suburban area. Juneau is the second largest in area in the country just shy of the first by Jacksonville, Florida. We Houston is big in area as well and is slowly stop expanding due to the city services yet is still helping newly developing county area to build streets and selling them city water, etc.

The bus driver is very kind to remind us the last bus to return to the city on both ways back. We marched again for about half an hour to the glacier. I got my senior pass for the National Park system available even though the glacier is under the management of the interior department, the National Forest. They honor the pass of the National Park. We walked across the jungle area with many of the State flower, Forget me not, and some like our blue bonnet yet larger in size. We reached to the sea bank plateau across the water to the glacier. It is amazing so close to the big chunk of ice.

I didn't mind to take more pictures for my fond memory. It is one of my favorite to come back again and again. Spring time in Alaska, the sun comes down early and it was dark when we came back to the downtown to take a shuttle bus back to the ship.

No comments: