Tuesday, June 5, 2018

The frustration to keep an old vehicle/Carlos Pueblo


The frustration to keep an old vehicle/Carlos Pueblo

There is an old vehicle, 1998 Q45, at home and my son Arthur is driving it to work.
Recently, there is a sign of a starter issue, a new one cost about $700 to replace
and the value of the vehicle is about $1000. This is after a $3000 plus replacement
of an axial and alternator and fan belts, etc. in the last half year. He works night
shift job at a super market and can’t drive a new vehicle due to safety like people
bump to parking vehicle; therefore, he is not complaining for driving the old vehicle
passing on him at the house. His previous 2003 Accord was flooded in 2016 after a
couple thousands repairing expenditure. This is what I mean the frustration to keep
an old vehicle, yet we must drive cars to be convenient in Houston, Texas. How do I
solve the vehicle issue?

I asks my daughter Michelle to return 2007 Camry, a 2nd gift vehicles for her college
graduation, back to her brother and she refuses with several reasons. First, the vehicle
is in excellent condition; 2nd, new vehicle costs too much and she doesn’t have a safe
garage at her home in Austin, Texas; 3rd, she drives only three days in a week and during
the week days, her company provides the costs of transportation. Luckily, she feels sorry
that I have to pay the cost of a new vehicle each time in need. We understand and very
pleased that she has the frugality and manage her finance very well.

A day before yesterday, Amy proposed an idea that we split three ways to pay a new
vehicle, Amy, Michelle, and myself. We’ll purchase a new vehicle on Thursday morning
and Michelle drives her mother’s 2013 Maxima back to Austin. It’s an brilliant solution
and satisfy all parties, Amy will drive the new vehicle, Michelle will get an used vehicle
earlier than her anticipation, Arthur gets 2007 Camry more reliable than the 98 Q45, and
I’ll keep or sell the Q45 for my occasional usage.

It’s very interesting for me now at an old age of my life. I think of maintaining a frugal
life style by not drive and spend my entire day at my library to use internet to post my
writing about my life and that’s it. However, I still can’t leave myself alone to face the
daily issue like the old vehicle issue, yard work, and the regular expanse such as all kinds
of bills plus travelling etc. It’s a meaningful life.








No comments: