Monday, June 18, 2018

Dormitory issue at college/Carlos Pueblo


Dormitory issue at college/Carlos Pueblo

Recently, there is a college dormitory issue involving a mayoral candidate of the
New Taipei city in Taiwan which brings back my miserable memory of my college
life during that time in the mid-1960’s. Taiwan is a small island nation of the size
of Massachusetts with 23 million plus population. I was lucky to pass on the
college examination to enter Taiwan Normal University, a government sponsored
institution for secondary school teachers back then. A free tuition with room and
board to maintain a basic living  at that difficult time was one of the route for a
poor student to get ahead with a career as a teacher after graduation. I did remember
that I could only stay half of my tenure, two years, at the school and another half of
the time to rent a bed outside the campus.

In order to keep up with my additional expanse, I was forced to do a tutorship at
night for wealthy middle school pupils. Finally, I graduated from the college with a
teacher’s certificate and a job to prepare my future. In 1975, I was accepted as a
graduate student at Auburn University with a teaching assistantship stipend for
$375 a month which was sufficient to maintain a normal student life at U.S. standard.
I had had a good memory of such life and appreciated very much for what I obtained
with such opportunity to study and learn how to live in this great country. I rent room
outside of the campus easily with a comfortable space and affordable rate. I don’t see
any solution soon in Taiwan for the crowded college dormitory issue. Too many students
comes from outside of the national capital in order to get a better education and job
opportunity.

I have noticed in my early life; therefore, I have been well prepared when both of my
children are at college. We provided the saving for their expanse. I didn’t allow our
daughter to work study in order to be concentrated at study; therefore, she had had
good grades and eventually landed in a good job. Our son stayed home for local college
and graduated without any of the financial difficulty. I learned and I prepared before
their college education needs. Of course, students can get financial aid or college loan;
however, the loans still need to be repaid and is still a burden to a young independent
life.


No comments: