Monday, June 11, 2018

Something is bothering me/Carlos Pueblo


Something is bothering me/Carlos Pueblo

Several days ago, my brother Yancy summoned me to his house for an old house
registry document in order to apply for an affidavit to authorize our younger brother
in Taiwan to transfer a small estate of our mother’s at our home town Huwei, Taiwan.
Our mother deceased five years ago in Houston, Texas. During her life time after our
father’s pass away in 1976, she managed to purchase a new house with some kinds of
help from some of her children excluding me. I have declare no interest to inherit any
portion of the property whatsoever by Taiwanese law; however, something is still
bothering me. I still am required to get involved into the settlement including the
dispute of two group of siblings, one group declares the house is belonged to them
while the others like to evenly divided among seven siblings less than the cost of
additional structure and I am with the later.

Estate dispute is very common in the world, of course, it is better than none at all in
the family. What I don’t like the tax penalty after the death of the owner, the future
beneficiary must pay. Even though the amount is not significant, yet we are all from
a humble background and I especially feel very uncomfortable. Finally, I have waited
the time when our younger brother is retired and can fully engaged to the matter.

I went to Taiwanese defacto Consular General Office this morning to obtain an affidavit
of authorization to pursue the legal procedure in Taiwan. I imagine that our brother’s
attorney will start to inform the second party to come to settle the dispute, the intestacy.
The law in Taiwan should resolve the matter based on the ownership which is still under
our deceased mother and without valid challenge otherwise, I believe the judgement
shall be granted to evenly division among all children. It is very simple and I sincerely
hope that is it.

I shouldn’t let this matter be bothering me; however, I am still a humble human being
and still am unable to get rid of the human worry and stress.


No comments: