Thursday, July 9, 2015

Visiting Cordoba, Spain/ Carlos Pueblo

Visiting Cordoba, Spain/ Carlos Pueblo

Cordoba is in the south of Spain, north of city of Malaga, one hour of AVE
train ride from Malaga. General speaking, most of Spanish city were old
castle kingdom. Cordoba is one of the oldest cities in the world, at present,
the population is 330,000. After getting off the train, I walked towards
the Guadlquivir River direction, passing by a city park, a Moor Castle, a
Roman ruin temple, converted Cathedral, Roman bridge over the river.
After lunch, I again took a walk inside the city wall, turned to the riverside
. Castle, park, and train station. At the station, I ran into a couple of Chinese
mother and daughter from Beijing.

The city park is just next to the train station. There are rose gardens, orange
trees, and even a nursery. People were walking their dogs in the park and I
used to greet the pets  when I met them. I prepared a sentence in Spanish
which was that I had more dog friends than human beings and followed by
some sweet greeting in English such as sugar, sweetie, and honey etc. The
owner would pull the dog’s attention and allow me to pet. At the edge of the
park, buggies were waiting for tourists to ride on to see the city. The Moor
Castle is next to the park.

The Castle has been converted to fee-paid museum. The wall, castle canals,
and gardens are all well maintained. Inside the wall is the downtown, there
are stores, apartments, city squares, cathedral and churches etc. Residents
hang their flower pots on the balcony above the narrow ally. It is very unique
in Old European town on which you can see some post cards. For that time
being, the flower was Petunia. I selected a restaurant on a narrow street corner
for lunch, of course, it was under the lunch special, el menu del dia, a nice salada
with main course pescado, grilled fish, and el vino negro. One glass of wine is 4
euros. Cordoba was a very famous Moor Kingdom, the Caliphate of Al-Antalusid,
 affiliate to the Umayyad Dynasty of Damascus, currently Syria. Because of this
visit of Spain, I study very much of this history through Google, Youtube movies.
It helps me to understand some of the current world politics. The Moors conquered
Spain in 711 and was expelled gradually until 1942. In this period is called Islam
Golden age while after 1492 is called Spanish golden era while Spanish navy had
reached northern Formosa.

Roman Empire conquered Spain and their soldiers stayed in Cordoba after dynasty
changed. The Empire left some remains such as temple, bridge over the River. From
the bridge, you still can view the old river lock, can take  some pictures with the tower
on the bridge. It is amazing that the 2000 years bridge is still well maintained and is
still in use. I am very impressed of the city for its well keep effort of the city.
Very soon, I was on my way back to the train station, passing by the original route,
the Castle, the park, and the big avenue towards the station. While waiting in the
station, I met a couple from Beijing, a mother and her daughter. She told me that
she was very impressed of Taiwanese good manners. I was stopped at the entrance
of high speed train due to a wrong ticket and finally I found it before the train embarked.  




No comments: