Sunday, July 12, 2015

Cruising the Mediterranean/ Carlos Pueblo

Cruising the Mediterranean/ Carlos Pueblo

When I was in Houston, I reserved one week for cruising the Mediterranean.
In fact, I did purchase a last minute ticket to board on a ship in Barcelona. I
made an estimate for the cost of transportation, room and board for a week
covering Italy, France and a Spanish Island, my ticket was reasonable based
on my Eurail pass, hostel cost, and two meal a day etc., therefore, I grasped
the opportunity. I took a subway to Columbus Square and transferred to an
exclusive bus to the terminal. Both terminals were crowded with passengers
on and off the cruise ships.

I checked in my luggage, there was an area for it until the cabin was ready.
After receiving my boarding card, I waited in an area for 11 am to board on
the ship. I met a German family of four and a group of 34 Cantonese speaking
passengers from New York city. Everyone was anxious and exciting. This had
been my fifth cruise trip with the same cruise liner, four of them were Jewel
ship and this was a new one, Epic. Because of my returning customer status,
I was invited to a cocktail party on the next day to have free beer, wine, and
mixed drink, because of free; therefore, the party was very short, a very quick
introduction of the captain and his staff. I knew the fact from before, so I drank
like an ox, four glasses of wine and beer in 15 minutes. In a bar on board, it was
charged 8 U.S.$ for a glass.

Epic is with the similar design to Jewel yet newer , heavier, and larger. Moving
a cruise ship just like moving a small U.S. city on the sea. Epic is circled on the
Mediterranean three countries, Italy, France, and Spain, with two boarding ports
, Barcelona and Civitavecchia, outside of Rome. I put the lab top computer and
backpack in the room and up to deck 12, Garden Café, for a late brunch. From
now on, I would change my two meal a day diet to four. On deck 13, the top of
the ship, I could have a better view of Barcelona, the harbor, and the castle on
a hill.

I instantly noticed the difference of food and evening program, Epic had more
selection which I guessed was due to the budge, Epic was more expansive than
Jewel. I still missed Jewel experience for New England tour, Alaskan tour and two
Western Caribbean tour, especially the waiters and waitresses. Their good manners
and service. Most of them were from third world countries with a 10 month contract.
I believe that working on a cruise at  young age will change their life forever.












No comments: