Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Taking a walk at downtown Malaga, Spain/ Carlos Pueblo

Taking a walk at downtown Malaga, Spain/ Carlos Pueblo

Early in the morning, downtown Malaga is still not quite awake, I walked
out of the hostel into the quite square, actually most of the street at
downtown Malaga was small alley in U.S. size. I passed by the Cathedral
towards the harbor direction. Spanish city always has a huge church at
downtown. It is a huge stone building yet after years sun bask, rain beat,
and wind blow, the building required a power wash. Of course the cost is
huge and is not affordable for most of the cities. There is a university across
the Cathedral, an old Moors Castle, and a Museum in front of the Castle. I
did check the internet library after returning back home. I believed that the
Castle was built before 1492, might be earlier, at the Islam Golden Era; while
the Cathedral was built after 1492, the Spanish Golden Era, the result of the
Reconquesta.

A Malaga rich merchant donated a park to the city along the beach line. He
asked the Spanish sailors to gather all the seeds from all over the world and
planted them inside the well planned park. You can enjoy variety kinds of plants
and flowers, even with a marked name tag in front of the plant. I took some
photos for a bush berry tree which reminded the same kind at my childhood home
fence at my hometown, Huwei, on the southern part of Formosa. I saw the same
kind of plant at Pearl Harbor Park in Hawaii. I found the rose garden which I was
brought to the day before by the tipping guide. The garden is next to the beautiful
city hall. Along the dividing path, there are orange trees. The roses were a little bit
at the end of blossom.

I climbed up on the step from the city hall to the hill top. This is the Moors Castle of
Malaga. The Moor built the Castle with huge wall to protect it. The guide pointed the
special zigzag design for the defender’s arrow shoot. The city plants the Bougainvillaea
with a variety of colors. You can view the bull ring stadium, the beach, and the harbor.
On the other side of the Castle, you must purchase a ticket to enter, you can see the
downtown area. On my way up to the Castle, I ran into a South Korean student  who
bought a three month Eurail ticket to travel Europe. I ran into him again on my way
back to Barcelona. He did visit Alhumbra Palace at Granada where I regretted very
much for not make it this time in Spain.

The harbor is very well built and equipped. Obviously it can hold a huge volume of
business for Malaga and southern Spain; however, I did not see very much activity
on that day. I walked back from the harbor, through the Park, and back to downtown
area. I stopped at a sandwich shop to chat with the store owner, a Cuban lady, an
Algerian man, and another Cuban youth. We talked about US Cuban future relationship
and I believed one day I should visit that island.    



No comments: