Thursday, January 14, 2021

More about our tennis 2021/Carlos Pueblo

 More about our tennis 2021/Carlos Pueblo

Three nights ago, we couldn't turn on the court light for our regular tennis meet. I went back to check it again on the following night and was the same. Our group make a change of our two nights schedule to play early in the morning to fill up the gap. My goal of playing tennis every morning has been made just like the old way at my home town Huwei in the central south part of Taiwan.

Now, folks are playing tennis at the red clay courts at the local senior high schools and an abandon residential subdivision of the old sugar factory complex where I was grown up. People are paying more attention to tennis in that part of the world. I see the same scenery in Japan. Japanese left the daily tennis exercises in Taiwan after their 50 years rule between 1895-1945. Due to lack of the leather ball, they have developed the rubber ball type of tennis which we call it the soft ball tennis or Japanese tennis in distinguish from the regular tennis or we call it the hard ball tennis. Back that time, the racket was made of the bamboo. I learned my Japanese tennis when I was at the teens on the street, I therefore have had no proper grit of the racket and play very funny when I have converted to the regular tennis in the U.S. I slice the ball all the time. American old timers call it the trash ball. It works and I can still maintain my interest in the sport. I think that my level is between 3.5 to 4.0 sometime according to the USTA. I can do the overhead at the mid of the court.

I encourage every one to play in the morning because the air is fresh and force us to get up early and sleep early. It is good for the old man that we have the exercises daily even if it is only a brief one hour a day. Playing tennis can also make us to balance our feet to avoid the fall. We don't have to chase the ball every time just put up our effort sometime when it is approachable.

Most of the house wives agree with me. They even send out e-mails or lines for groups to manage our tennis schedules. It is their best interest to keep their husbands in good health condition.

No comments: