Wednesday, June 2, 2021

In memory of Dr. Dong-Shang Wu, Ph.D. Lu Kong, Taiwan 1940-2021

 In memory of Dr. Dong-Shang Wu, Ph.D. Lu Kong, Taiwan 1940-2021

The death of Dr. Dong-Shang Wu was announced by his brother Lien-Shang on the monthly magazine of Taiwanese Heritage Foundation of Houston. I got to know him when I moved to Houston, Texas in 1977. He was an editor and  publisher of a community magazine, the Mayflower of Taiwan. I wrote my pieces every month during that period of time. I have admired his effort very much for my life. He is also a good friend of my elder brother Yancy. The magazine was a publication of Taiwanese dissidents in the U.S. against the dictatorial rule in Taiwan. 

His name as a victim of the oppressed Nationalist Chinese regime in Taiwan was missed by me due to his absence of the community activities at that time. I had gathered about 47 of such victim in Houston area who were suffering of the visa denial by that regime. According to the announcement article, he did get the returning visa yet his family at Lu-Kong was harassed often while he was back that visit in 1982.

He has a distinguish and complete academic education, a B.S. in civil engineering from Cheng-Kung University, a M.S. from the Duke University, and a Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin in Madison. He used to work with the Brown and Root for years.

All his younger brothers and sister are very kind to me as a matter of the fact. Yet I still remember one time we are invited to a family dinner with his sister Grace. We had had a vivid conversation with him and I knew that he was also very found of the local Taiwanese music for the local religious ceremony in addition to his favorite European classical music. I believe that he loves Taiwan very much.

We did see that he was with a beautiful date at a Taiwanese restaurant in the 80's. I thought that was a very good match couple, yet he was still not married. I did call him to solicit the property insurance business for his rental houses back to the early 90's when I was terminated by first  insurance company. He was very nice to return my phone call and I appreciated very much.

I respect people like him with the justice in his mind all his life. You know that his effort to be the editor of the Mayflower magazine in the 70's gains my life time respect.

No comments: