Friday, June 11, 2021

Remember two visiting professors at our chemistry department/Carlos Pueblo

 Remember two visiting professors at our chemistry department/Carlos Pueblo

Our class president, Roger Huang a Ph.D. of the University of Tokyo, posted a photo of two young couple on line for us to identify them. I remember these two visiting professors when I was at the junior class of 1969-1970 at Taiwan Normal University chemistry department. I still have a vivid memory of their first of the visiting professorship during that difficult time of Taiwan lack of proper teachers on each level of the school education. Cynthia and Carl Pfanberger were married and freshly graduated from a land grand Purdue University of Indiana. They were both invited to teach at our department for the physical chemistry and the organic chemistry for one year. I was very excited because that I finally had had an opportunity to take a class from a proper Ph.D. education background professor. Of course, I must admit that there is one with that level of academic degree before them, the lady Dr. Chen Hsia Wang of Bryn Mawr. There are things which I still have had a fond memory of them other than the study and I like to share with my classmates and readers.

I was so excited at that time and I asked our class president to invite the organic scholar to present his research of the borax B free radicals under the distinguish H.C. Brown at Purdue. He accepted our invitation and we made all necessary work to prepare the seminar no matter if we knew or understood the subject. We were fully supporting such academic activity in our dreaming  college life. It was indeed a success. There were two listeners asked questions, one was the chairman of the department Professor Cheng while another one was later on Dr. Ya-Ping Wang of Chicago University, our number one student in the class. Both our class head student Carl Chen and myself were the most excited person at that time. I believed that Chen even put very much effort to get the entire talk material organized.

I also invited Dr. P to present the award to our classmate Ping-Chang Chien for his performance 400 meter contest at our university annual sport meeting. Chien was the national leader of such event and I was very sure that he would win. Dr. P talked about the football and NCAA and I did the translation. I was so excited that I could show my spoken English at that time. Once the lady Dr. P learned it, she liked to have the opportunity to present the award; however, there was no other athlete could possible to defeat the other athlete from the department of the physical education which were national ranking and represented our nation.

I was asked to deliver the paper works to lady Dr. P's parents. It was a large frame tatami house. It was an errand asked from my elder brother Yancy. Her father was his professor at Taiwan University engineering school and Yancy was in the military service away from Taipei. He needed the professor to write the letter of recommendation to apply colleges in the U.S. I saw a charming girl answering the door. Later I was not quite sure if she was our professor coming home for a visit or she did have a younger sister at home.

I was told that both of them came back to the U.S. after that one year tenure to Houston Medical Center. I saw the lady professor on a television news screen while Chinese leader Deng Hsiao-Ping visited Houston. She was the leader to organize the demonstration. It is very nice to bring back my fond memory.

No comments: