Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Some knowledge about the cataract/Carlos Pueblo

Some knowledge about the cataract/Carlos Pueblo

My son Arthur has a second successful cataract procedure which has made his vision almost perfect except reading and astigmatism that also can be corrected with a new pair of spectacle. I am so happy for him and always asking him about his feeling of the surgery. He asks me if the unwanted white membrane can be grown back to make the eye blurred again.
I doubt it because the new in plant lens are artificial while the old cataract is natural. I find an old home medical encyclopedia for him to check. I also told him that the cataract procedure was developed 4,000 years ago in Asian India. One of my eye surgeon was an Asian Indian and he sanctioned my knowledge from that encyclopedia with an additional information that there was no anesthesia at that time.

Yes, Arthur also told me after his reading and there was no replacement lens available at that time. That basic procedure was only to remove the unwanted white membrane to make the cataract a little bit clear. After the painful surgery, the patient would use a magnifier to see and read. Of course it can't be far in distance yet better than nothing. Based on the age of the book, he estimated that artificial lens was only available in 1960. He gives me his thought of the lens.

He has always worn glasses ever since his birth. He doesn't like bi-focus lens at all; therefore, he doesn't mind that I select the basic one dimension lens to correct the myopia, or the short sight vision. It does bother me when I use bi-focus lens to read and drive because that I have to flip my eyes often.

It is very nice that there is an insurance policy available to manage the cost of the procedure. We make an affordable payment with a help of our employers or the IRS under the Obama Care. Otherwise, we have to arrange a medical trip to some other cost less nations to get it done. After we get our better vision, we appreciate more of the modern medical technology and the insurance idea.

I can tell a lovely pet dog with an issue of the cataract. Usually, the owners would tell me that they lost their vision and I would look at their swollen eyes eye ball with cloudy material. This is usually seen on a elderly small dog. Most of the owners have just leaved them alone without considering the surgery and I also doubt if there is such technology to apply to such procedure with dogs. I did see see one lovely dog yesterday while walking on our street. This honey came to me and I saw his eyes and identify his cataract. The owners did send him to a veterinarian for the procedure and it was failed. The liquid, possibly water, grows back on his eye. It might be a lack of demand; therefore, the procedure is not as popular in the dog world than in human. It is also to consider the longevity issue and the value of life between dogs and human life, don't you think?

No comments: