Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Receiving a life carp gift/Carlos Pueblo

Receiving a life carp gift/Carlos Pueblo

Last Saturday was a busy day for me during a lock down life of the Chinese Wuhan Novel Corona Virus pandemic. We finished our first Saturday tennis after 8 weeks at Bendwood Park and I continued to my regular chore to make dough for Amy to make some pasta for Arthur's dumpling, our steaming bun, and the onion bread. During my maneuvering on the dining table, my tennis partner Tony informed me to deliver a large life fish to me if I liked. I don't mind at all and it is a life grass carp which if very common now in this part of the United States. The State authority introduced this Asian carp long time ago to clean the mess of lakes with unwanted grasses and algae. Now, they are expanding to the rivers all over certain parts of the Southeast of Middle west parts of the U.S. threatening the original species of marine life. Some States even set up policy to prevent them to enter the Great lakes.

The one I received was about 15 pounds weight and I also was encourage to take an additional cat fish to help him to release the burden. I have watched some You Tube direct broadcasting about carp's cooking in the rural Chinese village and learned how to remove the fish scale by using the front edge of the rectangular knife by piling off the scale. It is messy from the beginning followed by the chopping off the head, the tail and removing the intestine. I don't have a butcher's knife at home that makes very difficult to get the job done. The fish was separated into three parts, one for Amy's elder sister in Sugar Land and we kept two plus the clean cat fish in the freezer for the future Miso soup making.

The U.S. is a country of abundance. There are plenty of foods to eat and some of them are free. I have done some free fruits picking, receiving free chives, and fishes, etc. There are some good memories for a person like me brought up from a humble background. I have enjoyed very much of my senior life in this community which is much longer than where I come from.

No comments: