Saturday, January 13, 2024

Our house is under renovation/Carlos Pueblo

 Our house is under renovation/Carlos Pueblo

Owning our house, a single dwelling, is not only to pay off our mortgage, paying the local tax and homeowners association fee, etc., we also need to renovate our house to keep it in a good condition. I finally agree to do the foundation repair, replace the PVC sewer pipes, interior painting, and to replace the carpet on the first floor to an engineer hard wood on the slab ground. We, therefore, continue to rebuilt the front and back yard lawn due to the hot drought summer and the current digging to damage the St. Augustine grasses.

It's very inconvenient for our daily life. We must accommodate workers schedules by moving around our house up and down stairs. I don't like to pay the extra and I am aware that the renovation benefits me few because of my age; however, I may enjoy more by staying home more after the job is done. I have owned houses since April, 1978 and most of the time I don't need to spend much for houses renovation. I did have someone in our community to do some veneer replacements before selling rental houses. I did my own cleaning and most of interior paintings. I managed to make them working.

First, I need to pass my frugal habit to pay my share of $35,000 to do the renovation because Amy pay another half. Our daughter gives us a $10,000 as a gift for the renovation. My retirement accounts did well in 2023 and I made some withdrawal early this year to meet payments. There is no need to involve my bankers. I withdraw the cash to pay painters or pay credit cards to the foundation company until I ran into a problem with the hard wood floor layers. Before they were leaving on the first half day job, they asked for $1,000 for the job and I couldn't locate my check book due to moving around boxes. I only had had $200 cash in my wallet. They couldn't decide what to do next and couldn't come back on the next day for the rest. I got mad. I also connect my upset to Amy who got rid of my Afghan rugs in the garage of which I attempted to lay on the new hardwood floor.

I explained my concern to the contractor that I should be more concern of my risk toward them if they don't come back to continue the job. I am the homeowner who is unable to get away plus the job just began. Quickly they accepted my $200 and left, yet I was still mad at Amy to donate my rug long time ago to the charity which they claimed.

No comments: