Monday, August 1, 2022

Waiting for the embarkation at New Haven, CT/Carlos Pueblo

 Waiting for the embarkation at New Haven, CT/Carlos Pueblo

After my turmoil days of staying at home, I took off again to the NYC for another cruise across the Atlantic. Mr. Yong informed me that he could not accommodate my five days staying at his apartment, I therefore decided to go north for waiting the embarkation at New Haven, CT to visit Yale  University campus. It was very interesting and quite challenging. I managed my way to the Grand Central Station and took a Metro-North train to New Haven. At a restaurant, I successfully found a motel outside of the city center and began my waiting.

I was lucky on the trip because I ran into a free bus period till June, a favoring politic from the State of Connecticut to help residents to recover from the Covid-19 pandemic. A bus would take me from the New Haven Green to a transit center on the west edge of the city. During my 5 nights staying, I ran into a female Chinese Ph.D. student at a city cemetery park and also managed to solve another tire problem at home in Houston.

While driving to pick me up at the Houston Hobby Airport on the other night, she ran into a street curve had some damage of a tire. We did manage to drive to Austin and back. She had an argument with the foreman of Arthur's tire store due to an additional fix of lights on his vehicle ripping off $250 additional. She felt bad when she told me on the phone and I was right outside of the beautiful city cemetery. I called to apologize to the foreman and asked him to take care of her tires as well, then I went inside to the cemetery ground to view several cherry blossoms. I ran into a pretty young Chinese girl and she was very nice to accompany to walk on every roll of the  yard. The tire shop foreman called for my payment and I had a hard time to read the 3 digits code on the back. She helped me to get the number and got it paid. I invited her for a lunch on the next day and she kindly accepted.

She was from Beijing and used to live in Amoy, Fu-Chien yet couldn't speak the Amoy which was closed to my mother tongue Taiwanese. Her Mandarin is perfect. She is on her Ph.D. program at Yale for the environment management. We had a nice lunch at a small yet busy Chinese eatery and ran into an English girl from Oxford, England. She was here to visit her parents. We had had a good chat and she told me the name of the Port Meadow by the Thames where I marched several times.

I planned to take off early on the embarkation day from New haven and I had encountered the difficulty on the transportation again. Luckily I got a help from a homeless to advise me to take a regular bus instead of the special daily shuttle to the rail station.  Upon getting off the train, I asked all the way to the pier on Hudson River at the final subway to bus transaction, a nice uniform lady walked me out of the subway and a block to the bus stop and advised me ask the driver to my destination. I saw a group of Asian Tibetans protesting Chinese rule in Tibet at a corner of a street.

No comments: