Sunday, August 21, 2022

Visiting Ponta Delagada, Azores, Portugal/Carlos Pueblo

 Visiting Ponta Delagada, Azores, Portugal/Carlos Pueblo

First stop of this cross Atlantic voyage is Ponta Delagada, Azores, a small island of Portugal. I guess the island's name in English is the Point of the Gada based on my Spanish study and easier for me to remember. As I always that I take a walk of the harbor and march into the town center.

It is a lovely European port with small group of the yacht and maybe fishing vessel included. A popular restaurant on the pier with a free WiFi gathered a large group of tourists to send e-mails home for the first time since Manhattan pier as we know it costs money to have the internet connection on the ship. After I got myself ready, I marched to the busy street.

On the main avenue of the town, there are modern buildings of high rise hotels, restaurants, and tourists services business. I followed the street on the clockwise direction. I made a right turn to get in the second block passing a large museum building with a statue of previous mayor. My eyes were caught by several buckets fresh flowers on the ground across the street, obviously someone was selling them yet not attending it. It is the entrance of a lovely brick narrow street of the typical European style with plenty of Banzai sitting or hanging on balconies. Tourists are hiring carriage touring the city. A man obvious drunk was standing in the middle of the street yelling to the passersby and a local young man with his child protected me to pass him. He speaks fluent English and is an immigrant from the Eastern European country.

Most of the merchants on the street were very lonely due to the Chinese Wuhan Corona Virus. I did check on a fruits and vegetables shop their prices. They were marked in Euro and I could compare with my Houston supermarket similar items. I didn't see the passion fruits.

I did review pictures which I uploaded on my desk top on this day in order to remember my visit. I found Viridiana photos which I had a hard time to e-mail her. She is the internet manager on the ship, a lovely girl from Mexican Laredo. She was very impressed of my pronunciation of her name and my Long time on see in Spanish, Hace mucho tempo que no nos vemos which my Spanish profesora taught me. She is also from Mexico City.

No comments: