Thursday, August 4, 2022

Re-visiting Yale University campus 2022/Carlos Pueblo

 Re-visiting Yale University campus 2022/Carlos Pueblo

Staying at New Haven, Ct was really for the re-visit of Yale University campus. The University campus is located in the city and now extended to the suburban area. I was here one year for a week several years ago and very impressed of the University. This year I ran into the spring cherry blossom and I also re-visited the University fine art museum.

The campus was full of New York magnolia and cherry blossom mostly in pink color. I was waiting in the city library for my lunch appointment with a Chinese graduate student. I noticed a poster indicated a cherry blossom walk out that Saturday at a park. My friend pointed it out where the park was. After lunch, I walked across a stadium bridge over a highway to a residential area. It was started blooming and I guessed at the mid of it. The cherry blossom can only last for a week. This park is considerably small in compare with the Tidal Basin in Washington, D.C. yet is still very charming while is blooming. I took many pictures for my own collection. Some of the blossom were extended to the nearby neighborhood front yards. 

Another attraction is the pink magnolia all over the campus. It reminded me of the White House area during the spring. Those magnolia flowers are different from what we have in the south. Our magnolia are white color and larger than these pink color flowers in the north. I saw our kinds of magnolia in New Zealand coastal hill with slightly different color from ours and that was at the end of the year.

The University fine art museum is open to public free of charge. I knew what I was looking for and went right in two morning in a roll. I visited the furniture section of the museum. Last time I was in town and run into the alumni day, the museum arranged a lecturer and third year Ph.D. student to give us a seminar of the American furniture in the 18th century during the independent war while Connecticut was a furniture producing state at that time. He introduced the idea of veneer furniture. I collected rosewood veneer furniture myself. Veneer is the hard wood attached to a softer and cheaper wood such as the walnut wood attached to the pine like the brick attached to the frame we called the brick veneer in property insurance. It is very interesting.

On my studying of the history of Chinese students in Yale. There was the first one back to the famous Boxer Rebellion in 1900's. The U.S. helped to bring in Chinese students to study in this country. There was this one Yung was the first that we had to remember it at the early study of our own history. Chinese Yale alumni bought a single dwelling house to honor him and now become a visitors dormitory nearby the Green. It was not open during my visit.

No comments: