Saturday, May 22, 2021

The mackerel/Carlos Pueblo

 The mackerel/Carlos Pueblo

An You Tube cooking vlog caught my eyes and brought back my fond memory of the mackerel. This chef cut the fish into pieces, pan fry them with ginger pieces, the garlic, soy sauces, cooking liquors, and many spices, etc. He calls it the maca fish. I had had the fish when I served at Taiwanese Army between 1971-1973 along with another large size of the yellow croaker occasionally. Both fishes were plenty along the offshore of Fuchien coastal line at that time. The local residents brought some fishes to our special company unit which served as the only army hospital at the island. Our fellow army doctors also saw the civilian patients. Gift fishes were delivered to our kitchen to provide delicious meals for us. During the lunar new year, our division would receive some additional fund to prepare for the new year feast. We could purchase one or both for our menu.

We didn't have these kinds of fish as our diet at home before until my military draft. They were expansive indeed. We told our captain that we were still hungry and more time needed to finish their left over. They were older than us and not working as hard as we were; therefore, they didn't need to eat more. Chinese cooking uses many spices and hot stuff which can get rid off the fishy or smell if there is any, yet delicious afterward.

I haven't had such luck after I left that small island. Of course, there are many foods for me to select from. I don't think that American eat as many fishes as the Asian. I do have small size of the croaker from the Gulf. It is delicious yet not like the big one. I saw some small mackerels also from the fish market yet their taste were not as attractive as the large one. Amy doesn't buy that much fishes any more because Arthur doesn't eat any and also clean fishes needed. 

No comments: