Thursday, May 13, 2021

Growing the amaryllis from seeds/Carlos Pueblo

 Growing the amaryllis from seeds/Carlos Pueblo

The amaryllis is also called the belladonna lily. It's flower looks like the trumpet shape of the lily. I have grown the orange color flowers for more than 30 years. First, I got them from my neighbor Estella across the street from my old Traviata house. She gave me some bulbs in November and mentioned to me that was the time to propagate the plant. I have done many times to transfer plants to my two rental houses sold, to Michelle's Cherrywood property, and all plants from Traviata to Del Monte residences. I have been very impressed to the beautiful amaryllis blossom in the neighborhood; therefore, I decide to grow the plant from seeds. It would be difficult for me to ask them to dig the bulb for me while I can pick seeds some time after the blooming. I did  spread hundreds of flake like seeds to my yard last year and I saw nine small plants coming out. They are all surviving the severe freezing weather in February, of course, we usually keep the tulip bulbs in the refrigerator over the winter in order to have the blooming in the next spring in the warm weather of Houston, Texas.

I am aware that I may not witness the blooming of these nine young plants and I don't mind. I like Amy and Arthur to enjoy them. It will take about 7 years for the plant to have the flower. They are all in different colors from mine and also only last for two weeks or less before fading away. I ask the senora again for the permission to pick up the flower seeds. I know the raining day ahead of the actual raining because I am the weather man for my tennis group. My partners will ask me to check on the court before they come to our daily tennis. I shall bury the fake like seed to the ground to be sure it won't be blown away like the previous year. Another neighbor mentioned to me so because she did the same thing last year and got a better result than mine.

Michelle has several houses which I can plant flowers to. She will be delighted like before that they are all free.

No comments: