Friday, September 11, 2020

The old water pipe is broken/Carlos Pueblo

 

The old water pipe is broken/Carlos Pueblo

The old front yard water pipe is broken and tons of water leak. Our house was built in 1982 with a polyvinylchloride, PVC, type of pipe which can be last for about 30 years. I am in panic when I see such outburst of tap water and worry about the monthly water bill. I call a plumber and also inform the city 311. The plumber came and couldn’t turn off the water valve and the city contractor took their time to come. My daughter Michelle who has more experience in this matter finds another plumber to give me a quote. He did give me a quote and I paid half of the fee in the front. I believe that he informed the city to close my case. At least I shall pay $3,200 in total for the replacement of the old broken pipe and I’ll have a side valve installed by the side of the main valve for my future use to control the water.

I walk on the streets in the subdivision almost every day and see the broken pipe. Usually it will take a long time for the city to fix it. Because this is inside of my front yard; therefore, it is my responsibility to fix it. The second plumber tells me that I can present my invoice to the city to waive the extra charge of water due to the breakage which is a release of my concern. Otherwise, I must appeal to the city for the forgiveness.

I thought that it would be easy for me to manage my expanse to live in this house. It is an extra and unscheduled cost, no, I take it back. I should anticipate the collapse of the pipe like some of the regular maintenance such as painting and replacing the corroded wood on the siding. I am such a stingy person and always wait until the fire to reach my rear.

No comments: