Friday, September 25, 2020

Pick the pomelo/Carlos Pueblo

 

Pick the pomelo/Carlos Pueblo

My neighbor Majid, an Iranian American, has a pomelo tree with many fruits hanging on the top. I ask his next door neighbor Chris to introduce me to pick the pomelo. I explain to Chris that it is one of the festive items for the festival. I am welcome to call him for the harvest. This pomelo brings back my good memory in my childhood.

I was born at Puli, a mountain township in the central Taiwan. There was a pink pomelo tree in our front yard with plenty of fruits each year. During the spring, their flowers have attracted so many beautiful butterflies which we gave them names related to the tree. The pomelo is one of the citric fruits closed to the grape fruit in the U.S. yet not as juice as it. When it is ripe, the fruit has a unique fragrant. We cut off the head part and carefully slice down the knife and peel off the layer to make a hat on our heat to play. The rest is like to eat the tangerine.

After 10 years old, we moved to another part of Taiwan on the southwest. There were two white pomelo trees also with plenty of fruits. I found my way to harvest them with a long bamboo stick. I was in charge of fruits trees on our yard until I left town for my high school study in the capital city. The pomelo which I mention about is special for the Moon festival. It is smaller with an egg shape. Several years ago when I visited my sister at my hometown, I noticed a paper box of pomelos. I instantly cut the fruit and made a hat for myself. They were a gift given to my brother-in-law from his old college friend who grew the fruit.

In order to pick the pomelo, I introduce the Moon festival to several of our American neighbors. Some of them have heard of the Moon cake and most of them have never heard of the pomelo. He planted it from a seed long time ago.

No comments: