Sunday, September 13, 2020

Observing the replacement of a broken water pipe/Carlos pueblo

 

Observing the replacement of a broken water pipe/Carlos pueblo

There is a broken water pipe underground on our side of the front yard border line with our neighbor to the east. We both make sure that the water leak is my responsibility. I have had a plumbing company to come to put a new pipe by the side of the old. First, we have to wait for the city’s contractor to shut off the water valve in front of the water meter. Only the city has such big turn key to move the knot and we must wait. Once the water is turned off, a team of three young Mexican workers come to dig a ditch along a white line marked by the first plumber of the plumbing company. Another plumber comes and begins to take a look of the job. I have some interest of the pipe arrangement of the water filter; therefore, I watch his work and chat with him to learn some knowledge of the current day plumbing.

The plumber who makes the contract indicates that there will be a homeowner valve installed on the new pipe behind the city water mater; however, he doesn’t list on the contract. Both Amy and I are worried overnight. We text the company to inform our concern and finally we see the second plumber who makes the confirmation to install that one and also replace an old one before the pipe enter the house. Now I have a better understanding how to turn on and off the tap water. If I want to change a faucet, I can turn the valve by the wall of the house and if I must shut the whole entrance of water to my house, I can easily turn off the homeowner valve by the water meter just added.

He, the installing plumber, cuts and connects the PVC pipes, polyvinylchrolide tubes easily. He answers my questions of why replacing the old metal pipes. It is cleaner and makes more economic sense. We can save some cost of the replacement even though the plastic material lasts shorter than the metal; however, we don’t need to worry about the heavy metal ions in our drinking system and also it is easier to cut the plastic than the welding of the metal pipes in order to make the connection, etc.

I finally make sure how to apply a Teflon tape on a connection pipe, it should be on the clockwise direction to follow the screw direction to make the closest contact of both tubes. I often makes mistake when I make a change of tube on my drinking water filter and in a result of such mistake, there is always a leak afterward. They don’t wait until the city worker to come back to turn on the valve because we don’t know when the city worker will return.

No comments: