Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Promoting the senior tennis/Carlos Pueblo

 

Promoting the senior tennis/Carlos Pueblo

People enjoy playing tennis because that it is an exercise good for the heart. After two sets double, we can sweat a lot and also good for the rest of that day. Of course, we need to know how to play tennis, have the time, and feel the joy, etc. We, four of us, finally find a court to play in June this year and set to play three times a week. Now, there are additional three players joining us and increasing two more meets a week. I expect another four neighbors to join us and hopefully we can have fully used our court every day.

I have learned to change my attitude toward the game now. I no longer feel that I must win the set but get the exercise first. Throughout the years, I always try to win every point and complain some of my partner for making unforced error so often. Now, I appreciate with one who has played so patiently toward the weaker and older players on the game in order to make it more interesting. That is a good manner and a good sportsman.

I picked up tennis when I was at 7th grade by playing at our local courts with many teen agers of my age. It was a Japanese style of tennis with the bamboo racket and a rubber ball. After coming to the United States, it was very handy for me to get into the regular tennis with leather ball and a different kind of racket, from the wood to the metal, and then the graphite. I can make the adjustment easily. I came back to play tennis in 1996 when a neighbor encouraged me to join a man’s league. Since then, I have been back to the exercises continually.

There is a group of senior tennis gathering at my old subdivision courts. They meet on Monday morning and players are retired seniors. After the games, they would gather at a pavilion to drink beers and eat snakes, etc. What a good life it is. Perhaps after the vaccine of the corona virus is developed and the medicine, we can have a little bit of social activity after the tennis.

 

No comments: