Wednesday, January 30, 2019

My fishing teacher 2019/Carlos Pueblo


My fishing teacher 2019/Carlos Pueblo

Ming Chia, my fishing teacher and alma mater of Taiwan Normal, has
been serious sick ever since May, 2018. He had had a minor stroke before
two falls which cause his loosing blood and unconsciousness. He is in a
rehabilitation at home with his wife care and a help short time from his
insurance coverage. It takes 3 hours for him to recognize me and murmurs
my first name. He is about my age and also in diabetes and I believe that
the illness is related to that disease. I ask Mrs. Chen to keep him warm to
pass the severe winter coldness in Houston where I have seen many casualty.

He immigrated to this country in late 70’s with his family of 5, wife and 3
young children with unlimited dream. At the start, he lost his saving from
Taiwan as a high school teacher, then converted to a handy
man business to fix houses. He has made it as a career and helps his three
children to complete colleges and become professionals. We met at the
alumni association and became good friends. He was also from the rural
area of the south of Taiwan with a lot of experience of life which I adored
in  my childhood, such as gathering small milk fish at the beach and sold
them to the whole seller for cash. The whole seller would transfer the tiny
fish to a fish farm to grow the fish. Milk fish is one of the protein source in
Taiwan.

He has taught me how to fish at Freeport, Texas that I have had a very good
memory. I once thinking of taking him to the American West to fish trout on
the stream, such as Yellow Stone, Colorado, and California, etc. and now that
becomes a subject to get his attention. We all promise him to get better and
I shall make that fishing trip happen.

In Buddhism, age and illness are two of our major suffering in life. I have met
many healthy elders on board of cruise ships to enjoy retirement and also
seen many friends get sick at old age. We all like to live in a meaningful way
of life and we all like to help the other to have a good life. After that, we also
desire that we can leave something after our death, money or name recognition.
After visiting him, I feel that the short of my life and I can’t worry too much of
what is going to happen in my remaining life.



No comments: