Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Internet safety/Carlos Pueblo


Internet safety/Carlos Pueblo

Internet usage becomes a major part of my life nowadays. I read e-mails, write
and check my blog, and watch You Tube on internet all the time during day and
night. I understand junk e-mails yet I am annoyed some hackers related e-mails.
Recently, there are two old friends asking me if I send them e-mails because that
they are concerned if those e-mails carry virus . You can avoid answering phone
calls from unknown phone numbers easily; however, it is very difficult to decide
to open an e-mail from a familiar e-mail address without a subject. It is the internet
safety. I believe that my e-mail address has been hacked and I change the password
immediately.

How does it happen? I am not quite sure. One time, I was in an hostel in Buenos
Aires and I used a desk computer provided by the inn. I forgot to un-check the auto
stay log in for one day. After returning home, there were several phone calls about
my misery in Manila and asking for money help. My account was hacked. I since then
changed my password to log in my e-mail address. I don’t know this time how my
account is hacked. Someone advised me that I might click a link on e-mail from some
one else. I’ll be very careful to every link next time for further information.

What is the hack? And how the hack will be any benefit of any kind to the hackers? I
wonder. Yesterday, I quoted and submitted an application for an old insured’s property
and we had had a conversation about the hacking phenomena occurred to her. She
received a request from a title company for update information on a property at closing.
She suspected that the e-mail was a fake address and called the genuine company to
check if they did send the request. Obviously, some hacker broke into her e-mail address
that was not often yet was true sometimes. Of course, she didn’t answer the request to
update her information for the unknown sender. She was concerned that an e-mail from
the insurance carrier to direct her payment was  real because it was a response so fast
that was hard to believe especially on the New Year day. We chat more of our unfortunate
experience with the internet safety and then she told me that her son, the owner of the
insurance property, had already paid the carrier with a receipt and she forwarded it to me.
The carrier acknowledged the electronic payment of bank draft option with a brief route numbers and account numbers.

I believe that internet safety because there are several protection steps such as the
internet providers and banks safety procedures, etc., before our money can be disbursed
to the hackers. I still don’t know why people with such good internet knowledge like to
test the laws instead of finding a job and make a decent living.


No comments: