Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Viewing a by-election for a legislator in Taichung Taiwan/Carlos Pueblo

 Viewing a by-election for a legislator in Taichung Taiwan/Carlos Pueblo

There is a by-election for a legislator in Taichung, Taiwan recently due to a recall of such position 67 days before. I saw the result first and went into the You Tube to view programs of the final two nights campaign rally in two townships of the area. I have been familiar with the unique democratic forms of election in Taiwan ever since my childhood time. I still have very fond memory of my attending of the campaign rally speeches in my native tone Amoy language which we call it Taiwanese.

In order to attract the audience and get their votes, the candidate must speech the native tone and it is a tradition especially in the area other than Taipei, the Capital  and we call it a China Town in Taiwan. Since 1945 Chiang Kai-sek's regime occupied Taiwan, Amoy language has been oppressed by the Mandarin Chinese. It is only at the election, we can see a free expressed Amoy language coming back alive. I am very resentful of the Mandarin Chinese because I can't pronounce properly and curve my tongue in order to get close. I have had a so called Taiwanese accent when I speak the Mandarin. It is all because that I don't have a real Mandarin speaker to start my Mandarin learning. This is the same story of my English.

The winner, Dr. Chin-yi Lin, a practice obstetrician, speak fluently in Amoy and also perfect Mandarin. The Mandarin part is understandable because she is at her early 40's with a much better Mandarin education while my surprise is her Amoy capability. She must work very hard. Her political party belonging is the Democratic Progressive Party, the native political party against the long time Chinese Nationalist, of course, DPP pay more attention to restore Amoy, Hakka, and the aboriginal languages.

Another distinguish native speaker is the Vice President William Ching-Te Lai, also a urologist by training. He is always the final speaker at the rally. His Amoy language is perfect with Chinese literature classic background in Amoy pronunciation only old man like me can appreciated.

No comments: