Thursday, January 20, 2022

My immigration to the U.S. from Taiwan /Carlos Pueblo

 My immigration to the U.S. from Taiwan /Carlos Pueblo

Each time when I watch the stressful news of Taiwan, my home country before the summer of 1975, I feel so appreciative of my immigration to the U.S. from Taiwan. Taiwan is about 1/12 size of Texas in area while 5 million shy of population in population with Texas. The density of the population per area is very high; therefore, you can see how hard Taiwanese must work in order to survive. The most important of my successful life is this immigration which has created the opportunity for me and my family to be in a much different class in the society, I mean from the poverty class to a middle class.

There is a subject of issue with the abuse of land and existing law in Taiwan from the Nationalist Chinese local elected officials. It is a fact of real life that the law doesn't apply to them. It is more like Donald Trump in the U.S., of course, there are some difference yet the same theory, greedy in public expanse or we say corruption.

In Taiwan, the land is scarce. The land must be developed in order to make room for the population to live and use. Therefore, the elected local government officers including members of councils of every level all attempt to grasp the opportunity to abuse the law and make a huge profit. It has been this way for years that the law doesn't apply to these kinds of politicians. Now, it is about the time for them to be faced the law.

I think that there is a better way to make it work for the rule of law. In the American society, they call if to follow the money and tax them! In cases of Taiwan, some talk shows discussions now come to the tax issue. The government always needs some revenue to meet needs of all kinds such as the national defense, welfare, infrastructure,  employees pension, and funds to fight the pandemic, etc. It is one of the effective way to increase the revenue and I don't see any other better way.

No comments: