Monday, December 20, 2021

Reading a book called Dreadnought/Carlos Pueblo

 Reading a book called Dreadnought/Carlos Pueblo

A book called Dreadnought is now in my reading regular. Amy's sister Mulan and two other Taiwanese ladies are working hard to improve their knowledge above all by hiring an American lady to instruct them for the advance. Dreadnought is one of the text books. I like to read history book and this is written by Robert K. Massie about Britain, Germany, and the coming of the Great War. I am on page 53 now and start doing my reports. Each time when I travel to a foreign land, I always Google something about that city of interest and persons of significant. I know that there are many things which I missed and puzzled. This book has been a help to me even after years of my fond memory.

Queen Victoria and her beloved husband Albert are German as I read before and now I know where both of them are from. Prince Albert's golden stature is erected on the Royal Kensington Park next to a beautiful garden with Japanese cherry grove. He died early. Across the street, there is a museum named after both of them with huge jewelry collection of Victoria Dynasty. In 1897, there was a Diamond Jubilee for her reign of the Empire of sixty years. I believe the current Queen Elizabeth II has one as well. During that celebration, I notice that there are two persons not in good health attended. Crown princes of Germany and Japan. I must check with the future Emperor Taisho, yet Germany's Fritz was in Scotland for his larynx issue. I read about Fritz's attending to the Bonn University with an Army officer whose statue is on the Berlin Victory Blvd along with Bismarck. This significant person was from Denmark after the famous war between Prussia and Denmark in 1863.

I was puzzled with the short reign of Fritz, the future of the Emperor Frederick III. Now I know that is due to his health. His son Kaiser William II succeeded him and lost the great Empire. I visited one of  his spa at Wiesbaden with a good memory.

Each time when I visit Germany, I always fly to Frankfurt. I notice that Frankfurt is a free city of that time. I know better of the Congress of Vienna that I do visit the big church where they gathered to make it possible. Reading this book has brought me back so much fun of my trips to this great civilization.

No comments: