Thursday, August 1, 2019

Re-Visiting Ketchikan, Alaska 2019/Carlos Pueblo


Re-Visiting Ketchikan, Alaska 2019/Carlos Pueblo

Ketchikan, Alaska is the first port out of Canadian Coastal Inland Sea
back to the U.S. territory. It has been established way before the
Alaska Gold Rush era back to the Russian fur trade after Tsar Peter the
Great. I always hike through the bank of the Ketchikan Creek to the
park by the hatchery. On my first back to back disembark, I saw a pretty
pink blooming scene on a hill and I decided to take some photos for my
cherry blossom photo collection. It is rhododendron. After that residential
visit, I marched back to the creek and complete my routine.

The residential area is built on a hill and must climb up on wooden stages
and street. I didn’t locate the big pink blooming tree; however, there were
many smaller others with different colors, red, yellow, light blue, and purple,
etc. After a long freezing winter, spring flowers are even more vivid and
beautiful. I also noticed the petunia pots hanging on under the roof or on
the balcony, and many wild flowers, such as dandelions, forget me not the
State flower, and bluebonnet bigger in side that our Texas one, our State
flower. I have been attracted by the rhododendron in many place worldwide
such as Seattle, Victoria, BC, the Great Chateau de Fontainebleau, France, etc.
I has been a treat to visit Ketchikan in the spring to view such wonderful
Scenery, two parks in particular, a small one out of the channel before the creek
and another one larger by the hatchery.

At the end of the creek hike, there is a hatchery and a Totem Museum closed to
each other. I haven’t been inside to either place, yet I do stay at the beautiful
park all the time. The park is surrounded by rhododendron trees and the golden
bell trees with small brook from the peak nearby with tall trees inside the park.
I am interested in the life of the salmon and trout, their coming home from the
Ocean. The hatchery releases their products back to the creek down to the sea
regularly and I think that is similar to the one trout hatchery in California.

Ketchikan is also claimed as the Salmon Capital of the world other than a small
Gold rush town in Alaska. I tried a small piece of preserved can fish and was tastier
than the one fillet at home. The old creek side stores begin with many small gift
shops and small restaurants and usually I finish a quick tour of the area and walk
out of the wood board path up stream toward the hatchery. On my way back to
the cruise ship, I would walk through the new downtown area.



No comments: