Friday, August 2, 2019

Continue to march on the city canals in Birmingham, England/Carlos Pueblo


Continue to march on the city canals in Birmingham, England/Carlos Pueblo

There were four days to stay in Birmingham; therefore, I continued to visit
the 2000 miles U.K. canals and rivers network. My understanding is that the
system has been built during the era of the Great Industrial Revolution. The
canals were needed to transferred the raw material from Liverpool and
Manchester ports, etc. to the inland factories and vice versa, the finished
products to be shipped out worldwide via these tiny manmade waterway.
The internet sources is believed that the pottery manufactories of
Staffordshire initiated the first canal. I believe that all the canals were built
by the private venture of needs. I ran into a Chinese youngster who walked
on the canal bank to his work in the morning and I asked him about the famous
Chinese Great Canal between the north and the south about 1500 years ago.
He tells me that the Canal is still functioning yet not for foods transportation but
for the construction material and the width of that canal is larger than the canals
in U.K.

I am very fond of my newly finding interest of the canal in England, as a matter of fact,
it is my sole purpose of this monthly visit. I like the well maintain system and converted
to a local park after their loss of transportation usage. Mute Geese, ducks, and some
other wild birds are the permanent fixture of the system. The canal is used by leisure
barge operators to travel around and few interested like me to make a special trip and
taste of this man made wonder. There are three more ventures that I like to mention
during my stay in Birmingham. In order to solve my toilet issue during my march at the
canal, I had to exit to the street in order to continue my 15 miles or more daily walk.
Two of my exit, I ran into two German car dealerships, one Mercedes-Benz and another
one BMW. Both have the excellent facilities. The third and fourth exit were at the same
hamburger restaurant on a roadside. At the beginning, the lady manager just pointed the
door to the backyard and I didn’t have to purchase anything. On the way back, I was thirsty
and needed to go to the toilet and I came to the same exit and the same restaurant.

I ordered a can of soda and went to the backyard. I followed a young man to order that
day’s special, a double layers cheese burger, French fries and another drink in the same
order. I believe that is one of the best burger for a long time for me. After Birmingham,
I continued to march on U.K. canals and I exited for toilet and sometimes for food and I
didn’t run into that kind of small restaurant again, just a two ladies operated business.

No comments: