Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Re-visiting Skagway, Alaska 2019/Carlos Pueblo

Re-visiting Skagway, Alaska 2019/Carlos Pueblo

The ship left Juneau late in the afternoon sailing through the inside passage of Alaska again to Skagway, another lovely township left from the gold rush era. I always hike on the lower Dewey Lake for all my visits to this historical town. This time, I tried the upper Dewey Lake for my first attempt because an Indonesian internet manager showed me early this year a photo of a white wolf on his i-phone from Upper Lake and I was very impressed.

I disembark to the pier toward the rail road station where the White Pass and Yukon Route Railroad is started toward Canadian Yukon Territory. At the Gold Rush time, the town reached to 10,000 population and was the large township of the entire Alaska Territory. Next to the station is the office of the Klondike Gold Rush Historical Park, is also related to the Gold Rush
and also has another station in the downtown for the kids visitors like a modern museum. Walking toward a highway by passing through a memorial park with a statue of someone famous, I turned into the entrance of the water resource and the lakes. I felt a little more difficulty to climb up to the smooth hiking route and I wondered if it was because of my age
or weight. I turned into the Upper Lake Route to enter the thick forest area and sometimes ran into climbing again with difficulty. Quit was always in my mind due to exhaustion.

Not many mountain hikers were there, as a matter of the fact, there were only three; however, the signs of direction were clear. We all desire to reach a waterfall and the Upper Lake for the views where is more hat an hour for jogger and I hiked more than two hours, stop and go, and still only made to the sign for the fall. Of course, I didn't see any wild animals and not even any birds significant.

On my way down to the mountain, I ran into a lady hiking with her two white dogs. I got their attention and I asked the permission to take their pictures in lieu of my while wolf dream. She doubts seriously that there is any wolf existing not even white color one in this area. I know the is very special and should bring in a good luck as he, the internet manager is told by the local aborigine which I guess is the Eskimo. I managed to get down to the mountain via the service road, more straight down to the hill and difficult yet faster.

I walked pass the small creek and enter the well kept downtown. Skagway is a typical town ship of the American West. Most of the stores are restaurant, jewelry stores, and gift shops. Many tourists are shopping and carrying shopping bags back to the ship. There are several places which I have missed this time, like he Lower Dewey Lake and the Pirate Point across a bridge of Skagway River. I always skip those paid trips like the locomotive ride, a tour to the Canadian border, or a helicopter ride, etc.

No comments: