Friday, August 9, 2019

Re-visiting Juneau, Alaska 2019/Carlos Pueblo

Re-visiting Juneau, Alaska 2019/Carlos Pueblo

The cruise ship left Ketchikan late early evening and sailed the entire night toward the north to Juneau, the State Capital of Alaska. It is all on inland sea and very smooth sailing. Juneau is a city with huge city limit, the second largest in the entire U.S. next to Jacksonville, Florida even our Houston city territory is smaller than Juneau. Including the next back from Seward, Alaska southward, it has been my 5 times visits to this lovely city. I visited Liv of the House of Russia, took a bus to the Mendenhall Valley, marched to the Mendenhall Lake, viewing the
Mendenhall Glacier, the Nugget Fall, and the Tongass National Forest Visitors center.

Liv is the owner of this lovely gift shop on the main street of Juneau, the House of Russia. Every time when I take the Alaska cruises, I always report to her of my arrival at her shop. I believe that she is either a Norwegian or Swedish yet not a Russian. Her shop is very unique and very successful even the purchase agent on board put it on the instruction lists of shop.
What I do is say hallo and chat some if she is not that busy or I'll say good bye and see you again. I walked briefly in the downtown and ran into Lisa Zhang, my Chinese adopted daughter who wanted to go to a market and I informed her my way to Mendenhall Glacier.

The bus station is near by a Sheraton 4 Points Hotel and I am familiar with how the bus to work. I took the city bus to circle a part of Juneau city for more than 12 direct line miles to the Mendenhall Valley stop and marched about 40 minutes to the Visitors Center of the Tongass National Forest where the Mendenhall Lake and Mendenhall Glacier are located. The breeze blowing from the 13.6 miles wide Gracier through the iceberg Lake has been cooling down the the hard march on the road. I ran into Michael of Colorado who recaptured their lost luggage at the Juneau Airport that day. They hired a jeep to tour the city and took some photos of a black bear in his i-phone. I walked to the Nugget Water Fall about 3 miles a round trip. The Glacier is the in-melted snow becoming an ice formation covered the entire mountains. Some of the ice melted during the year and the icy water falls from top of the glacier down to ground to form a clean beautiful lake and the water path is the water fall.
The Nugget Fall is  huge and beautiful.

I didn't stop by the midway lake front viewpoint, instead I took many photos on my way back of the spring wild flowers, dandelion, our Texas Bluebonnet in larger size, and some Forget me not Alaska State flower, etc. The visitors' center while the National Forest is very large. At night, I had a late dinner with one of my adopted daughter, Jenny who was the one officer assigned to help to recapture his luggage from the negligent airline. She went out to have some Filipino Bar-B-Q at the downtown harbor square; therefore, I ate her hare of the steak. The waitress, Mica, another daughter delivered the left over cheese cakes to my room for my breakfast next morning.

No comments: