Thursday, July 18, 2019

Visiting three Universities in Birmingham, England/Carlos Pueblo


Visiting three Universities in Birmingham, England/Carlos Pueblo

One morning I was marching along the city canal and found a nice bank with
pretty garden and buildings. It is the campus of Ashton University, a complete
university with all kinds of colleges including the engineering, medical school,
and law school, etc. Upon entering the campus, I saw a sign of Birmingham
City University on the other end and a conservatory, Mathew Boulton Campus
of the Birmingham Metropolitan College. If I may, I can categorize the City
University is popular, Aston is selective, University of Birmingham is prestige,
while Mathew Boulton is specialized. I visited the UB last year and was very
impressed. The campus is outside of Birmingham city limit.

I have always admired the university in my life. Almost all nations pay attention
to their high education and the university produces leaders of their society. Almost
every place where I visit, I always put an effort to visit the university campus. I
have very much regret that I have not utilized my opportunity to study while at
school. Ashton campus is not as large as UB; however, it is very pretty and organized.
The medical school is not as big as I imagine; however, there is a brain center and
Dental school and pharmacy school, etc. The engineering academy is right by the canal.
After visiting the new student center, I walked toward the BCU. Last year, I met a
pretty Chinese young lady, Yang Ming of Cheng Chou city, Henan, on a train from
Oxford to Birmingham. I believed that she returned to BCU for graduation commencement
of her M.S. degree. I adopted her as my daughter. There are some Chinese students
studying at that campus.

A reception lady at Ashton student center introduced me about these three universities;
therefore, I had some ideas of the Ashton Triangle. It is on a higher ground and I can
see Birmingham downtown. I walked back to the canal through an old ruined area with
some brick buildings which the city intended to re-innovated. After just one exit, I got on
to streets of old quarter of the city to the New Street Interchange. The old quarter is like
some of the old town Houston with many Eastern European eateries.

Of course, I dropped by the Bull Ring Market for my supply.



No comments: