Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Visiting Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala/Carlos Pueblo


Visiting Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala/Carlos Pueblo

We landed at Puerto Queztal, Guatemala by passing by another two
Central America Nations, Nicaragua and Hunduras. It is in adjacent to
Mexico to the north and famous for the current migrant issue of the
U.S. Mexican border which Trump wants to build a wall. I remember
after I visited Belize and found Guatemala had a territorial demand
of Belize and forced the British Air Force stayed at Belize for a certain
time period. Now, the Guatemala is in turmoil and its population
take caravan or march toward north to the U.S. for new life.

There is a nice shopping area near the pier for passengers who selected
to stay near the ship and another group to join the excursion to visit the
beach or an active volcano. I chose the third one to march to the city
center which I believed was Antiqua Guatemala, the old Guatemala city.
On the previous night, the dinner with officers was greasy and I drank too
much wine; therefore, I did have a diarrhea and was under such pressure
for the entire morning. I walked pass a gate guarded by security and they
told me not far away. On the way, there were small cabs of three wheels
soliciting business. I was still insisting walking.

The march was a reminder of my youth. I was fond of marching to another
township nearby my hometown, later by bicycle. The scenery of Guatemala
is similar to Taiwanese countryside of the 50’s. I went back to Taiwan and
joined a 30 Km march, about 18 miles, at my old hometown and it was
dramatically changed due to the rapid increase of population. I saw on the
way to Antiqua was still the same. I stopped by a mango stand to enjoy a
piece of big mango. It was a dollar for one and three kinds for me to select.
It was very delicious.

I passed by a Naval Base on the road side and once close to the city center,
the small cab business became busy. I didn’t get in to an outlet center for
tourists and kept on marching until I reach to the third intersection. Someone
mentioned to me that if I would go further blocks, I should meet a parade
and saw a clear picture of the volcano. I was glad that I made it back safe
of diarrhea threat when I reached a restaurant toilet.

Aiza, my adopted daughter from Jade, asked me why not brought back mangos
for her. She said the cruise security allowed passenger to carry one back and it
was too late.

No comments: