Friday, July 5, 2019

Re-visiting the Peak Forest Canal, Marple, England/Carlos Pueblo


Re-visiting the Peak Forest Canal, Marple, England/Carlos Pueblo

On my last day of stay in Manchester, I decided to re-visit the Peak Forest
Canal at Marple. This time I got off at Marple Station and marched toward
16th Lock with a help from a college student on her i-phone to be sure of
my direction. Before the entrance of the Canal, there is a super market
center and a war memorial park with  a fountain and nice garden on it.
I made a detour to avoid a repair construction of the 12th Lock due to the
earth movement of lock shrinkage. The size of the lock is standard, yet
the water basin is quite a size for maneuver of the barge or canal boat.

I went to visit a nice two story brick house by the bank, an active art
craft store and museum. It was closed yet I could see through the windows
of what was inside. There is a residential houses next to it, very quiet and
lovely. It is what makes me to write this report after the first one. I found
four peony plants fully blooming on a front yard of a senior living house.
I always love to see pretty flowers in my life and I adore the peony. In
classical Chinese literature, the peony represents noble and elegant. I still
remember where and when I run into the peony blooming during my
traveling worldwide, i.e. the flood control zone of River Main in Frankfurt,
Germany and the subdivision of the old East Berlin under a ruined wall
between French and Soviet concession. I read very much about the flower
in Manchuria, NE of China and a special mention on a famous samurai
novel and movie, Miamoto Musashi. Dahlia flower is identical to the peony
in appearance of the flower and the plant overall. I regret very much that
I miss a peony blossom at a cruise stop at Cannes, France where I turn around
before reaching a Cathedral garden.

I passed by the Aqueduct House again and went down to the River Goyt to
see the huge Marple Aqueduct Arch. My neighbor told me that during the
Roman Era, engineers had already made construction to transfer water for
multi purposes. Aqueduct is sounded as water pass way to me in Spanish.

I marched pass Romiley where I exit on my first visit to Woodley Station. These
are all called civilization area for coffee after the canal. I went to thank the lady
at Manchester Information Center for her recommendation of Marple Canal and
she recommended me visit the canal in Manchester. It is right in the downtown
area where the great industrial revolution started. There is also a canal street
yet the canal is very old and need to be innovated.


No comments: