Sunday, October 22, 2017

Re-Visiting St. John’s, Newfoundland, Canada/Carlos Pueblo

Re-Visiting St. John’s, Newfoundland, Canada/Carlos Pueblo

The ship sailed east along the Northern Atlantic south of Greenland for
two days and two nights before reaching St. John’s of Newfoundland,
Canada. The Cruise Line calls it the Viking Route to identify the great
Viking Adventure and the Titanic of the past century. The Viking, current
day Denmark, were active during those days in North Atlantic, Shetland
Islands which gave away as dowry to Scotland, still owns Faeroe Islands,
Iceland which become independent, still owns Greenland. If I studied more,
the Northman or Viking used to invade England. It all ended in the war with
the Prussia in 1860, blamed on Bismarck. We had had our first visit also our
first cruise at St. John’s in 2011 at about the same time. I have had a very
good memory.

I always have mentioned that I have known Newfoundland in Taiwan because
that my college professor mentioned one of his student went here for the
graduate study. We went to visit two large churches in the city, one was the
Cathedral and the other was an Episcopal with a higher tower by one golden
fish than the previous. I did check the complication of religious difference
between Catholics and Protestants, then France and England, and finally the
Acadian or we said Cajuns in Louisiana. This time, we only tried to locate a
Railroad station which was the start of the Great Trans Canadian Rail; however,
the station had been closed for years. It has been a railroad museum ever since.
We walked back to the Water Street and found a Japanese Restaurant nearby
opened on Money when a regular restaurant was off for a week. We ordered a
plate of raw fish and  fish rolls combination plus a pitcher of draft beer.

St. John’s has become a typical harbor for me to visit around cruise route, walking
on the harbor and old town as far as I could. I am still very frugal in spending money
even though a day of market rally. I am still calculating the cost per day in compare
with my land trip with transportation, room and board. I don’t consider all the
significance of places, scenery, architecture, or else. I enjoy the most when it comes
free, i.e. free museums in London, New York City; free gardens all over the world.
My only regret is that there are some special scenery which I cannot reach in a day

time without a reasonable public transportation.  

No comments: