Monday, October 30, 2017

Attending an award ceremony for a writer/Carlos Pueblo

Attending an award ceremony for a writer/Carlos Pueblo

Mrs. Chang, wife of the late distinguished alumnus of my alma mater, Taiwan
Normal, was holding a first place award ceremony Saturday at an official
Taiwan’s building at Westpark and Briar Park. I was so appreciated that Harry,
her husband attended my mother’s funeral in 2013 shortly before his sudden
deceased of heart failure. Mrs. Chang, a named recognized writer in Chinese
language herself has won many awards during her career and this is the latest
one. Our alumni association is one of many sponsors to this event.

She gave us an excellent presentation of her work, a biographical interview of
several scholars of Chinese decent living in this country. I learned that there were
two at least were under so called White Terror oppression during the Chinese
Nationalists regime in Taiwan, 1945-2000. She did mention the fact, yet not in
details and regardless of the thought of the two in that matter. Finally, she
emphasized the fact that she appreciated her opportunity to receive good education
in Taiwan. Her presentation is excellent and well prepared. She did mention about
the political power changed in Taiwan which makes her wonder of some sort and
I must ask her some question because that I can no longer sit silently.

I am a writer myself, like my son is a painter himself, only my work is not good
enough to be published; however, a piece of writing should have the writer’s
opinion toward certain subject, such as the current political situation among
Taiwan, China, Hong Kong, and Singapore, the four nations of dominant Chinese
language. Some audients followed up my questions about the politics in writing
which should be essential to a writing. She admits that she always avoid to get
involved during her career because that she is not familiar with such field. I felt
very sorry for such a talent in writing to speak for the weak and disadvantaged
in both Taiwan and China. I always believe what Confucius famous words that
only a good writer utilizes his pen to make the incumbent rulers scare of wrong

doing to his people.

No comments: