Monday, October 23, 2017

Flying home from New York City/Carlos Pueblo

Flying home from New York City/Carlos Pueblo

While I was waiting at Laguardia Airport to fly home from New York City,
I ran into two persons at the waiting terminal, one Chinese widow and
a retired Asian Indian doctor. The retired physician is 84 years old, a fellow
passenger at the cruise and the Chinese lady, a current widow of an
old American from Maine. She saw me and spoke to me immediately while
Amy was checking on her i-phone connection. She knew that I was from
Taiwan by listening to my accent in Mandarin Chinese. She indicated that
she became a widow after 3 months marriage a year ago and inherited all
the asset from her late husband in Maine, $900,000 in cash and an un-
liquidated 200 acres in Maine with a house of $220,000 in value. She showed
me her husband’s picture when he proposed at Kweilin, Kwanshi Province,
China, a handsome man of my age and the Green card copy at her i-phone.

Then, the Asian Indian cut in for conversation. I had to apologize to her and
Respond to him. He complained about the taxi fare of $90 from the cruise
terminal to Laguadia was a rip off and he wrote down the driver’s name. I
had no idea of such cost because that we walked to the 8th Avenue and took
a subway and transferred to a bus, of course, I carried Amy’s luggage during
the walk and also including an unfriendly subway station for the disabled, no
elevator. He shrugged and said that his wife was handicap. In order to get my
additional sympathy, he told me that someone from London took his luggage
by mistake and he got his instead. I asked him how to manage this crisis. He
pointed out that his daughter in Houston was involved to solve the mess. I
disagreed to the consequence as a reasonable result. I thought that he should
leave the others luggage in the cruise terminal office and asked the cruise
customer service to locate that person who was taking another Cruise line back
to London and got his luggage back to Laguardia in time for departure. I guessed
that the cruise line didn’t think that there was enough time.

The Chinese widow was very impressed with my conversation with that old man.
She asked me to help her to transfer flight in Houston and of course, we would
be glad to help. She told Amy that she had been so nervous since she came to
the State to settle all her claim. She complained that her translator and the attorney
involved both cheated on her. I didn’t pay very much attention to it yet Amy got
excited and explained the reason why this lady could not sleep well.

  

No comments: