Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Disembark at Ushuaia, Argentina/Carlos Pueblo

Disembark at Ushuaia, Argentina/Carlos Pueblo

The cruise ship sailed into and out of Punta Arenas, then arrived at Ushuaia
, Argentina, all among islands pass way called the Strait of Magellan, in
memory of the great sailor Ferdinand Magellan. Punta Arenas is the south
most city of Chile while Ushuaia is the last city of the world, Ushuaia fin
del Mundo. The port has been built on a beach front plain south of the
Martial Mountains, the southern tip of the Great Andes, and across the
Strait is the beginning of the Glacier of the Antarctica. Right next to the pier,
there was a Russian research vessel called, Akadamik Sergev Vavilov, before
and after us at the port for supply obviously.

I could see the orange color roof naval base on the right front side in my
Binocular. Down to the streets, I did see some young navy officers and
soldiers and wondering myself if the ship captain and ranking officers
walking down to the town in uniform would create some kinds of disturbance.
I walk as usual in every town which I visit. There are four business streets
parallel each other up to the old town boundary. The aborigines had settled
here about 10,000 years ago until the crowded European came in for missionary
work in early 1800, the English, then some Spanish built a town in 1830, and
finally the Argentine military force arrived here in 1930. I don’t know if the
British did say anything about it or they were too busy to manage the German
In Europe; however, they did fight a war against Argentina for the near by
Falkland Islands.

I leisurely walked along the old town almost twice that morning. The city is also
a major penitentiary center for Argentina, like Punta Arenas and Coyhaique for
Chile. Both governments like to exile their criminals and dissidents far away from
the major city center. I did see an art gallery called Galleria Termatica, and I checked
my Spanish dictionary, thematic means questionable or an issue, and no wonder
that there are prisoner figures on the window as well as uniformed figures on the other
window. The Gallery is on Google search.

Lucia of the retired Brazilian surgeon loves to have some grilled sheep. I had found
so many of them on the restaurants down the business streets. It was the open body
of the sheep under log wood fire in a fire place like oven. You could see through the
glass window outside. I took her roommate to an Italian Restaurant for dinner because
of my platinum member status. She only ordered six shrimps and cocktail because of

the grilled sheep lunch with Lucia. I was lucky that I save some pesos. 

No comments: